Game Boy Micro

Jack

We won't be buying one no, but I'd say we're not who they are after with this.

Speak for yourself. :)

My other half and I have 4 SPs and 2 DS's between us and we'll both definitely be having one of these. Little beauties they are and the price seems reasonable to me.

Apologies for my initial statement there rgraves, just joking....I do take your point that they are not necessarily targetting existing SP owners.

We know there are a lot of ill informed buyers and with 3 Nintendo consoles to Sony's one, you can bet people are going to end up by buying one of Nintendos either by mistake or just the fact that they are cheaper and appear to offer more choice.

Maybe they don't want a PSP?

And they do offer more choice. Hundreds of available GBA/DS games to 40 (IIRC) for the PSP.

People who choose to buy a Nintendo handheld aren't automatically stupid because a more expensive Sony handheld is available, you know.

Maybe they don't want a PSP?

And they do offer more choice. Hundreds of available GBA/DS games to 40 (IIRC) for the PSP.

People who choose to buy a Nintendo handheld aren't automatically stupid because a more expensive Sony handheld is available, you know.

That wasn't what I meant. There will be some people who don't know what they are looking for. With a ratio of 3 to 1 in their favour, Nintendo will be the favourite to pick up those customers.

Speak for yourself. :D 

My other half and I have 4 SPs and 2 DS's between us and we'll both definitely be having one of these. Little beauties they are and the price seems reasonable to me.

Apologies for my initial statement there rgraves, just joking....I do take your point that they are not necessarily targetting existing SP owners.

:lol: So you'd rather have 2 more GBA's (ontop of your already 4 plus DS's which play the games) than say 5 new games, possibly even 10 if you shop wisely. Maybe Nintendo arn't so stupid and I'm just being narrow minded.

Im thinking of the kids. The kids with the wee little hands, the ones that already have a GBA and a GBA SP with a cracked screen and they want a new one so it will fit in their pockets and they can swap covers with their friends at playtime and so on and so on... (phew)

Bollocks to how much it costs, this will sell by the bucketload because its a Game Boy. Its the smallest, lightest, fancy-pantsiest version yet and all the SP's will disappear to the bottom of the cupboard...

I'm quite interested in the Micro.

I have an original GBA I bought cheap overseas around launch atm.

The SP never attracted me, I just don't like its design at all. Yes, it has some nice features, but not enough to make me upgrade. The Micro however might change my perspective on the upgrade path. I'd want to see one in the flesh first to get some idea of the display clarity/quality, but if thats up to par I might make the leap. £70 is a little on the pricey side, but it does have that nice pocket friendly thing that the DS doesn't.

I'm firmly in the positive side of the maybe camp.

"The Game Boy Micro is the latest fashion statement from Nintendo and is an absolute must have for those looking for a stylish console. This new product takes everything gamers know and love and condenses it into a sleek and sassy shell. Game Boy Micro is about expressing yourself and the way you play video games."

Am I the only one that shuddered when they read this?

Why do people keep talking about how sexy it is? It's a piece of junk.

It's probably just their opinion like.

Nintendo seem determined that this is a 'premium' product. I assume they do research - perhaps they are right.

I can't see it myself. It seems like potentially the ultimate mass market Gameboy. Bring the price under 40 quid and it's practically impulse purchase territory. Although the games would have to be 20quid.

Does anyone know whether the micro will support backwards compatibility with GBC and GB carts? I would have thought that nintendo have managed to shrink all of the GBA componentry into a smaller package, but what has been lost in the process.

(I was quite a bit cheesed off that the DS didn't run GBC scrabble to be honest!)

Does anyone know whether the micro will support backwards compatibility with GBC and GB carts? I would have thought that nintendo have managed to shrink all of the GBA componentry into a smaller package, but what has been lost in the process.

(I was quite a bit cheesed off that the DS didn't run GBC scrabble to be honest!)

Buy a cheap GBA flash cart. You can then run a GB/GBC emulator for the earlier games. And several of your favourites can be transferred to one cart at a time. Works fine on GBA (not that its really needed) and I presume would be just as good on DS as its natively running GBA code instead of GB/GBC.

:rolleyes:  So you'd rather have 2 more GBA's (ontop of your already 4 plus DS's which play the games) than say 5 new games, possibly even 10 if you shop wisely.  Maybe Nintendo arn't so stupid and I'm just being narrow minded.

Heck no, I want the games too. ^_^

Hasn't miniaturisation always been considered a good thing? Computers, videocameras, phones etc have always been desired in ever smaller sizes with people willing to pay more for the privilege of having the latest gadgetry in a smaller package. Why then do people think the Micro should be half the price of the SP?

If it were using exactly the same components as the SP then it would require an SP-sized shell to keep it in so that can't be it.

Wow it's just like the days before the big Sega crash - Buy Genesis, No buy 32X, No the Pippin, No the Saturn and what about Mega CD.

Good job the games are compatible between these Nintendo formats :rolleyes:

Sure, lots of people will buy them at £70 (and some will kick themselves when realise it really is just a smaller gameboy and doesn't play any different games) but if they'd gone with £39.99 a damn sight more would have bought one.

Maybe we're poorer in the Midlands but £70 still isn't an impulse buy for me.

Fun fact: each one comes with three different faceplates.

The black one comes with silver, camoflage, and a flame design, while the silver comes with black, blue swirly crap, and a ladybird.

Silver on black turns it into a Game.com

Edit- We don't get black, but green, blue and pink instead. No word on what our faceplates are.

.::: Fun fact: we're not getting any faceplates. Isn't it great to live in Europe?

[edit] And just WHERE is my NES faceplate!? I demand answers Nintendo!!!