IGNORED

Im Glad The 32 Bit Era Is Out Of The Way Now

Spunky Monkey

A strange title perhaps.

I had a go of 1080 on the N64 the other day. I remember it being a brilliant game, completing it to get the gold boarder and all that stuff. But upon playing it again all these blocked throughts came rushing back. It was so frustrating. The actual racing was nice and good, the AI player pushing you off your line because you was on his path was not. The way the AI ruined everything, the way you had to do a run perfectly, tricks slowing you down. I remember now how frustrating it was.

But there was loads of games like this back in the 32/64 bit era. I guess as developers got to grips with 3D worlds and longer gameplay they sorta forgot about the fun factor. Goldeneye, as great a game as it is, i couldnt really see myself playing it through on all three difficulties and also doing the two extra levels. You could always put this down to being younger back then and having more free time. Which is partly true.

Another n64 game, Banjo Kazooie, fully completed but i could never do that now, collecting 100 notes on every level. It seems only now developers are getting to grips with games that flow smoothly and are more fun and enjoyable. This can only be a good thing. Whilst i had great fun with all these games i mentioned and more if they were around now i certainly wouldnt have got the full enjoyment out of them due to how frustrating many of them can be.

Its almost as if this generation a lot of games have been streamlined to take away from annoying frustrations such as AI controlled players forcing you to fail the level because you was on their racing line.

Well obvously the next gen will rplace old formats but the 32bit era was wonderfull with some stunning titles made.

A lot of them have aged sadly but some are still worthy and comparable to anyhting on this gen. Two of my favourites are Ridge racer type 4 and the entire Resident Evil series.

I agree completley. I never had an N64. When i bought GC games like Mario Sunshine and Double Dash, people complained that they were not as good as their N64 prequels, so i got an N64 and got several highly rated games, including Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. After playing them, it was clear that they had either aged terribly, or were never good in the first place (probably the former), and i felt dissapointed by the games. I felt the same upon playing Sonic Mega Collection, having loved the games as a kid, i played them again, and didn't enjoy them half as much. Same with Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World on the GBA. Too many people don't remove the rose-tinted spectacles when talking about games that hold fond memories for them.

mario 64 and yoshi's island are as good as they ever were - amazing. spazz.

there's games - like mario 64 - which were always very smooth and had a framerate without trying to do too ambitious graphics and those are the games that still play well from this era - not that many.

Stuff like majora's mask is still very nice but I'll only play that on the gamecube with bright colours and high resolution.

Mario 64 is still better than Sunshine. I say that as someone who played sunshine first, then 64, hated 64 and carried on playing sunshine, got sunshine stolen and learned to love 64 then bought sunshine again a month ago.

And I've just completed Majoras Mask. If it weren't for the waiting around for shit to happen (a fast forward song would be ace) it would be almost perfect. Apart from the graphics obviously- that's the only real difference between then and now with that game.

And I've just completed Majoras Mask. If it weren't for the waiting around for shit to happen (a fast forward song would be ace) it would be almost perfect. Apart from the graphics obviously- that's the only real difference between then and now with that game.

From what I remember, there is a song to speed up time. Isnt there?

And someone else said high resolution.. Does the GC disk with Majora's play the N64 games in higher resolution? Cos I played the OoT/Master Quest one before and they were identical to the old versions..

Song of Double Time

Learned: N/A

Information: Allows you to warp to the following dawn/night of the game.

How to play: C-Right, C-Right, A, A, C-Down, C-Down

Anyway. I think we're out of the 32-bit era graphically, but not gameplay wise. Back then, there were still a huge amount of titles focused on high-score tables and such. Just look at the majority of DS games to see we certainly haven't left that alone...

Banjo Kazooie's still my favourite platformer ever. Although people have argued that it can become a collectathon, it certainly didn't require excessive collection and seeking out absolutely everything to unlock other areas. I think it was a case of being young and not having money for many games that inspired me to play so long on it and get every jigsaw piece (though I couldn't be arsed getting every note). I'd love to buy an N64 again to play it but I can't really afford to. Ho hum!

Nope

Yes, there is.

No there isn't

Song of Double Time

Learned: N/A

Information: Allows you to warp to the following dawn/night of the game.

How to play: C-Right, C-Right, A, A, C-Down, C-Down

Yeah allows you to warp to the follwing night/day. Not much cop when I'm waiting around till 1:00 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning is it? And the amount of times I scared of Sakon the thief just before he entered his hideout (twice) was fucing annoying considering I had to do all that trading shit and waiting again.

It's a game made for the times when gamers were generally children or single, and had all the time in the world. If it were released today it really would need to change some of that view. Also it crashed on me. I can't think of another game in which crashes would be more annoying.

I went back to Diddy Kong Racing recently, the first game I had on the N64, one of my favourites ever.... and it just felt shit :rolleyes: To be honest, it was mainly the graphics, and the felling lessened somewhat as I played it more, but I was still disappointed. I know everyone says it, but leave old games well enough alone - they're much better in your head. (Except pop n' twinbee.)

I went back to Diddy Kong Racing recently, the first game I had on the N64, one of my favourites ever.... and it just felt shit :rolleyes: To be honest, it was mainly the graphics, and the felling lessened somewhat as I played it more, but I was still disappointed. I know everyone says it, but leave old games well enough alone - they're much better in your head. (Except pop n' twinbee.)

Still, I played through Monkey Island 3 and then Monkey Island 1 during my holiday, and they were good as ever. But 2D games age much much better than early 3D stuff.

"I am the genie of the island!! Isn't this mock-Indian voice acting just embarrassing......"

And someone else said high resolution.. Does the GC disk with Majora's play the N64 games in higher resolution? Cos I played the OoT/Master Quest one before and they were identical to the old versions..

They're not identical, they're at 60hz, at a higher resolution (the whole game, not the textures), and the colours are much better as the n64 output was all fuzzy and faded and generally shit.

"I am the genie of the island!! Isn't this mock-Indian voice acting just embarrassing......"

Quiet you shitter, Taj will forever be the best character ever.

"Thankyou for coming!"

"Please come again!"

"Albracadabra!"

"Alakazam!"

"Alakazoo!"

"Can I help you further?"

Rare were at least five years ahead on the racism stakes. Game still plays well too, thrashed it all on the Xbox the other week.

I still enjoy early-gen 32bit games alot. Most of them didn't use the memory card to any great extent, so you could have the whole thing unlocked and playable in an hour at most.

There were alot more simple gameplay concepts too. None of that bloated genre-fusion crap we've been saddled with this genre. You look at the average PSOne game and it'll just do one thing. And I'll quite happily play through an average game, so long as it doesn't outstay its welcome.

I went back to Diddy Kong Racing recently, the first game I had on the N64, one of my favourites ever.... and it just felt shit ;) To be honest, it was mainly the graphics, and the felling lessened somewhat as I played it more, but I was still disappointed. I know everyone says it, but leave old games well enough alone - they're much better in your head. (Except pop n' twinbee.)

DKR is really ace on Xbox emu. The graphics are really sharp, looks like a DC game or something.

Most sequels to 32/64-bit games are inferior, except in graphics. Priorities are all wrong, it seems.

Hmm, that depends on the genres you're into I'd say.

Platformers haven't really improved, and have often arguably gotten worse: see the Mario, Oddworld [ignoring Stranger's Wrath, which switches genres] and Tomb Raider series' for evidence.

Racing games and Roleplaying game sequels tend to just offer more of the same, as always seems to be the case, with the notable exception of the few online spin-offs (PSO, FF-insert number here)

Fighting games have been consistently improving across all boards (Street Fighter III>II, Marvel Vs Capcom 2>1, Soul Calibur>Soul Blade, Tekken 5>Tekken 3, Virtua Fighter 4>Virtua Fighter 2, Dead or Alive 2>1)

Adventure games are the only titles to have suffered heavily, thanks in large part to Lucasarts' withdrawal from the genre, which is a shame. Oh, and the Monkey Island sequels did get consistently worse, so I suppose that directly supports your statement.

FPS's have blatantly improved hugely since the 32-bit era: Half-Life 2 beating out Half-Life, and outside of sequels plenty of great new titles arriving (Deus Ex, Halo)

The only basic actiony title I can think of that received a sequel would be the Panzer Dragoon series, and I must say I vastly preferred Orta to the original and Zwei - not played Saga, though as an RPG I can't say how easy it would be to compare the series.

Outside of that, I can't really think of many 32-bit era titles that received sequels in recent years, certainly none that I remember for being significently worse than their prequels at least.

So, in summation then, I think you're being far too melodramatic. There are certainly titles that have received inferior sequels, as is always a risk with just about all forms of entertainment, but equally there have been many superior ones - and if you are to look wider than just sequels, and actually take into account new franchises and such I think you'd find that, in general, things have improved or at least broadened out (which can only be a good thing) in most genres over the past five or so years.

Hmm, that depends on the genres you're into I'd say.

Depends more on what games I've played:

Platformers haven't really improved, and have often arguably gotten worse: see the Mario, Oddworld [ignoring Stranger's Wrath, which switches genres] and Tomb Raider series' for evidence.

Yep.

Mario 64 > Mario Sunshine

etc.

The Crash Bandicoot series used to be good on the PSX, until it went all 'next gen'. The free-roaming Crash Twinsanity is one of the worst games I've ever played.

Same for stuff like Spyro, et al.

Racing games and Roleplaying game sequels tend to just offer more of the same, as always seems to be the case, with the notable exception of the few online spin-offs (PSO, FF-insert number here)

Let's see, racing...

Ridge Racer 4 has yet to be surpassed, despite 2 (no wait, 3) sequels since then.

Role-playing games... well, FF7 ws undoubtedly the best one, and hasn't been surpassed this gen yet.

Ocarina of Time is much better than Wind Waker too.

Fighting games have been consistently improving across all boards (Street Fighter III>II, Marvel Vs Capcom 2>1, Soul Calibur>Soul Blade, Tekken 5>Tekken 3, Virtua Fighter 4>Virtua Fighter 2, Dead or Alive 2>1)

No real arguments here, although improvements have been tiny.

Tekken 4 tried to 'next-gen' it up with proper 3D environments but it was rubbish so they went back again.

Adventure games are the only titles to have suffered heavily, thanks in large part to Lucasarts' withdrawal from the genre, which is a shame. Oh, and the Monkey Island sequels did get consistently worse, so I suppose that directly supports your statement.

Again, no arguments here.

FPS's have blatantly improved hugely since the 32-bit era: Half-Life 2 beating out Half-Life, and outside of sequels plenty of great new titles arriving (Deus Ex, Halo)

There weren't many FPS's on consoles back then, and my statement was that sequels have not improved over the 32/64-bit originals - of which there were few.

Goldeneye? The sequel was shitter (by several orders of magnitude).*

Uh... Medal of Honor? The original was pretty good. Been down hill since then, hasn't it?

Not FPS, but: Metal Gear Solid? The original's still the best.

All IMO, etc.

* Not PD, obviously; that was wootastic - but it wasn't next gen, so it doesn't count.