Metroid Prime: Hunters

northy

Multiplayer in echoes was pretty shit so i dont see why this will be any different.

The difference here being that Hunters has been designed from the ground up with multiplayer in mind whereas the multiplayer in echoes was a tacked on uneccessary "feature". If you can dig out some of the multiplayer demo videos from E3 '05 and more recent single player footage, it actually looks surprisingly good.

However,

The single player means the multiplayer will be shit

The multiplayer means the singleplayer will be shit

It's a non-2d Metroid which automatically means it will be shit

It's also being developed by someone other than nintendo, so it will be shit, of course if it was, then it would still be shit

It's also being developed by someone other than retro, so it will be shit, of course if it was, then it would still be shit

• 3 weeks later...

Their Wifi connection is going to explode once this gets out. STILL won't be able to choose exactly who you want to play against though ;)

From nintendo.com:

Friday Night Fun -- Beta Testing Metroid Prime Hunters

Feb 03, 2006

Metroid Prime Hunters just might unseat Mario Kart DS as my favorite Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection title

by NOA_Andy

While my friends were out whooping it up last Friday night, I was home alone waiting for the clock to strike 11 pm. I happily endured this self-imposed seclusion for a chance to participate in a Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection beta test for Metroid Prime Hunters.

I've been "working" on the Metroid Prime Hunters website along with NOA_N8Dawg, which should be launching early next month. Before last Friday night, I had played quite a bit of the single-player game, but I hadn't had a chance to experience gameplay via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. I'm pleased to report that the experience was awesome -- well worth missing a night out on the town.

The beta test was scheduled to begin promptly at 11:00 pm. Before the test, the beta testers were broken down into groups of four and Friend Codes were exchanged. I was pleased to see that good ol' NOA_Rufus happened to be in my group.

The test lasted for half an hour, and although I saw one other NOA from our group online, NOA_Rufus and I ended up going head-to-head in each of our three matches. The first thing I noticed is that the lobby system in Hunters is great. Unlike Mario Kart DS, you can choose when to stop looking for opponents and start the action. It took no time at all for Rufus and I to be off and running.

The action itself was spot-on. I didn't experience any lag at all, and Rufus's character moved smoothly around the screen. In fact, I was so excited about blasting Rufus that I almost forgot that I was supposed to be testing the game. Before I knew it, 30 minutes were up and Rufus and I had given each other quite a beating. I played as Samus, Kanden and Spire, and I have to say that Spire's wicked alternate form made him my favorite of the night.

All in all, the beta test was a great experience and I can't wait to experience the online action when the entire globe is in the mix. In the meantime, I have a lot of "work" to do on the Metroid Prime Hunters website ...

Metroid Prime Hunters hits store shelves on March 20, and I'll definitely be reporting more about this title before then. Click here to discuss this article at the Nintendo NSider Forums.

.::: Yup, I believe it's Weavel's weapon. That is if you're playing character-weapons only. If you set it free-for-all anyone can use all weapons.

Spire's morph ball mode is great btw: he can cling to walls while rolling, giving him an advantage in getting around. The maps are reminiscent of Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena in my mind. Not too big, full of action, speedy as hell.

And not a single framedrop. It's the one portable FPS that works.

IMO there is given way too much gravity to the multiplayer aspect, what about the single player? Metroids were always a success due to the near perfect single player adventures they provided, but yet no one mentions anything about it; I ,as a metroid fan, crave for a great, classic, metroid single player, and then I will eventually bother to play the multiplayer.

EDIT: it was just last night, when I was thinking about a 2.5d metroid on the DS, and how cool it would be, even a port of super metroid would be perfectly great for my tastes, but yes let's not start this thing all over.

IMO there is given way too much gravity to the multiplayer aspect, what about the single player?

The game was going to be shipping without WIFI until the end of 2005 delay, so I'm assuming that they'll have a solid single player game in there as its backbone.

I'm worried about the multiplayer being hyped so much as well. If the single player is not up to scratch, I will definitely not be buying it.

Oh I am buying it anyway, it's a metroid game after all, but still, never before did I have so many doubts about a metroid game, and yet there is the fact that the game is not being developed by retro studios.

Well it may not turn out to be as good as Goldeneye, but the multiplayer might play in a similar fashion

Still I am wary about the control scheme, no way, me thinks, it could match goldeneye, or any other analog cotrolled FPS by the way, but still, till now none of the previews I have read are negative about the multiplayer. We will see.

IMO there is given way too much gravity to the multiplayer aspect, what about the single player? Metroids were always a success due to the near perfect single player adventures they provided, but yet no one mentions anything about it; I ,as a metroid fan, crave for a great, classic, metroid single player, and then I will eventually bother to play the multiplayer.

EDIT: it was just last night, when I was thinking about a 2.5d metroid on the DS, and how cool it would be, even a port of super metroid would be perfectly great for my tastes, but yes let's not start this thing all over.

.::: There is a single player and it has some Metroid influences but simply accept that this is a shooter. Period. Whining about it not being Metroid isn't going to help it now, and it's a darned good FPS to boot.

*WHAT AM I SAYING!?*

.::: There is a single player and it has some Metroid influences but simply accept that this is a shooter. Period. Whining about it not being Metroid isn't going to help it now, and it's a darned good FPS to boot.

*WHAT AM I SAYING!?*

OMG you are being crude, CV:DoS is a proper single player with metroid influences, and it's a good one, I do admit, but a metroid game should be a METROID, fuck the modesties.

[/stops whining and waits for release date to receive his copy]

.::: I know what you're saying, but still, I'm surprised as it is that NSTC didn't screw did up royally and made a really fun game. It's not what I want in a Metroid but it's so much better than Echoes' multiplayer, it's criminal.

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere already but here it is anyway:

IGN -February 9, 2006 - Nintendo today revealed that Metroid Prime Hunters, the Wi-Fi enabled Nintendo DS first-person shooter hitting the system on March 20th, will be the first game in the Nintendo DS library to support voice chatting over the internet.

Players will be able to chat with players via the built-in microphone on the Nintendo DS before and after a match-up. Players can converse with anyone on their friend's list established through Friend Codes by clicking on the Chat icon in the game's lobby system.

Metroid Prime Hunters will support up to four player deathmatches over Nintendo's free Wi-Fi Connection service. We'll have more on the game as we get closer to its release date.