World Snooker 2005 Psp

Totally brilliant. Who'd of thought it? Sports games are taking over the PSP. Well impressed. All thats missing is the coins on the table!111!! © every snooker / pool review ever written.

Probably should elaborate. Sweet gfx, intuitive control. All the buttons in the right place (a rarity for psp games im finding...looking at you Fifa soccer). Analogue cue movement (use the aim and shoot method or feather your cue through your hand with the analogue stick). Really slick menus. Much depth and wealth of options. Major suprise hit of the launch for me (me being a massive pool fan admittedly), but this is perfect portable entertainment. Spot on.

5 from the boys and 4 from the girls.

Is that the SEGa game you are talking about? It seems that good old SEGA did everything right for the PSP launch.( see Virtua Tennis World Tour)

Well Sega published it, but it was developed by the guys at Blade. I really should play on this as I did do some prelimary designs on it whilst working there...glad to see they used my name for it, and I hope they kept the 'beat-em up' style structure that I designed.

Regardless of any of that though it was always bound to be the best snooker game on the PSP as Blade have the best snooker/pool physics around.

Theres the slightly annoying hiccup during a shot that was also on the blade developed world pool challenge but i guess decent physics + all those extra graphical touches hit a 222mhz cpu hard. Il try on 333mhz at some point.

But its really nice. Definite purchase for people looking beyond arcadey thrills for some relaxing play.

Well Sega published it, but it was developed by the guys at Blade.  I really should play on this as I did do some prelimary designs on it whilst working there...glad to see they used my name for it, and I hope they kept the 'beat-em up' style structure that I designed.

Regardless of any of that though it was always bound to be the best snooker game on the PSP as Blade have the best snooker/pool physics around.

That's true. The current Xbox iteration is fantastic. Absolutely stunning physics. If only it were possible to get decent AI for the computer opponents.

I thought 2004 snooker was superior on the PS2 and Xbox but was looking at this on the PSP if I ended up getting one. Is the loading ok on it?

The loading's fine as it is - but if you want to speed things up, turn on "Power Saving" from the options menu. It gets rid of the commentary and ref animations, reducing loading between shots.

Incidentally, it's a fucking amazing game. Although I can't beat Barry Pinches.

At first I thought it was a bit lame, my point of reference being the ol' Virtual Pool series (now out on Pocket PCs and Palms), which is much better as a straight pool/snooker sim. For example, in World Snooker challenge you can't move around the table freely - you should be able to sight down the path of the object ball to the pocket before 'getting down' on the cue to take the shot. VP even simulated the ball leaving the cloth, so you could do jump shots etc. But I started to discover that it's more about shot choice and tactics (what with the aim guide lines thing, that get shorter if the angle's wider / you're cueing over a ball etc etc), and I'm really seeing the appeal now. It can be bloody hard, which suprised me being new to the series - make a break of 22, screw up on a red, and sit and watch as your opponent makes a 103 to clear up and win! It takes a while for the CPU players to make decisions, but they're suprisingly good AI. You do need to turn off animations and commentry - the former because it can takes ages to complete a frame otherwise, and the latter because it's rubbish (Steve Davis - "The next black after this red will get him another 7 points!!!111"). All in all quite impressed - a good relaxing yet thoughtful play. Not for the feint of heart though ...

Definitely the PSP's (European) killer app so far - I've spent most of the weekend mucking around with the exhibition mode. It took a while to get into the aiming and working out the power you need for each shot but it's fast becoming second nature now.

The A.I. can be a bit tasty though - even the 'easy' players can bang in big breaks, I've lost numerous frames due to missing one of the last reds and seeing my opponent clearing up.

My major acheivements so far - getting a break of 60 and (in a different game) taking a frame off Steve Davis!

VP even simulated the ball leaving the cloth, so you could do jump shots etc.

You are actually able to do this in the Xbox version of the game, which I assume uses the same physics engine.

The A.I. can be a bit tasty though - even the 'easy' players can bang in big breaks,  I've lost numerous frames due to missing one of the last reds and seeing my opponent clearing up.

Again, this was the major problem with the Xbox game. The AI pulls off some completely unbelievable safety and positional shots. It can be quite dispirating watching it clear up - but I suppose that happens in actual professional snooker as well.

Analogue cue movement (use the aim and shoot method or feather your cue through your hand with the analogue stick)

Are you actually using this? I tried it in practice mode and I think it's awful - I can realistically get one of three or four shot strengths, which is nowhere near finely controlled enough. The nub just isn't sensitive enough. Shame, as it'd be more fluent this way if it actually worked!

I'm using the analogue cue movement and I think it really adds to the game! Also when playing with someone I noticed them holding down Triangle to get a top view of the table, and then tilting the PSP and looking down along the screen surface to line up shots! B) That's something that can't be done on a console version (and the wide viewing angle of the Japanese Sharp LCD screen allows this - wonder if it works well on Samsung screens)

• 4 months later...

I bought this game recently, and am struggling to find the 'Aiming Aid' difficulty option that is mentioned in the manual - has it been removed, or am I just being silly and not spotting it? (its the option that supposedly removes the aiming aid on the Overhead view when you are on a difficulty level above easy etc.)

I bought this game recently, and am struggling to find the 'Aiming Aid' difficulty option that is mentioned in the manual - has it been removed, or am I just being silly and not spotting it? (its the option that supposedly removes the aiming aid on the Overhead view when you are on a difficulty level above easy etc.)

IIRC... I think the level of Aiming Aid is determined by the difficulty level you choose, they are not 2 different options. You should notice it vary mostly on distant shots across the table, where you will have zero aiming aid on higher difficulties. On close shots I think the aid is always on even on the highest difficulties...

I love this game and it's been a surprise hit with me. It's the only PSP game i've got where sound isn't important (the endless coughing from the audience is bloody annoying) so i turn it all off and play the game while listening to the tv. As Laid Back said, the AI can be 'tasty' but that just ramps up the tension knowing that if you make a mistake you might lose the frame/game/match. It really makes you learn all about the placement of the white ball after each shot.