Girlfriend Gaming

Bushtopher

Yesterday I tried to introduce my girlfriend to Halo, figuring if we started at the beginning on an easy level, playing co-operatively, she might give it a go and grow to like it.

However, it was an absolute disaster!

She didn't seem able to master the controls at all, and just didn't 'get it', giving up before even reaching the Bridge.

It wasn't as though she was unwilling to try, or that she is adverse to games at all - she has a DS which she enjoys, and likes platformers, Donkey Konga, and that kind of thing.

So... is it a girl thing? Are women for some reason not as able as men when it comes to picking up a FPS?

This isn't a sexist thing btw, just genuinely interested!

Yesterday I tried to introduce my girlfriend to Halo, figuring if we started at the beginning on an easy level, playing co-operatively, she might give it a go and grow to like it.

However, it was an absolute disaster! 

She didn't seem able to master the controls at all, and just didn't 'get it', giving up before even reaching the Bridge.

It wasn't as though she was unwilling to try, or that she is adverse to games at all - she has a DS which she enjoys, and likes platformers, Donkey Konga, and that kind of thing.

So... is it a girl thing?  Are women for some reason not as able as men when it comes to picking up a FPS? 

This isn't a sexist thing btw, just genuinely interested!

:(

It's like someone's spying on my relationship

My girlfriend loves Goldeneye. That fact alone makes me very happy  :lol:

Actually, I forgot to mention - she told me she has played Goldeneye in the past with no problems.... so maybe it is the dual sticks she has a problem with.

Time to buy her an N64 + Goldeneye for her birthday I reckon :(

My partner doesn't play many games, never reads about them, and certainly doesn't consider herself a gamer. But I think she disproves the "girls can't play FPS" nature of this thread.

Every now and then she goes apeshit for a game, and it's often an FPS (probably because she never buys games for herself, and I buy a lot of FPS). She played through the whole of Doom and Doom II, Dark Forces, and, IIRC, the first Jedi Knight. That was all years ago, though.

Nowadays, she plays Halo/Halo 2 socially (co-operatively with me, and also in occasional LAN parties with our friends - she's OK at it, too). However, she won't play either of the Halos in single player. We do quite often play Mario Party, Wario Ware and so on in multiplayer, but apart from Pikmin 2 back at Christmas, she hasn't played any other games in single player mode for years.

Last week, though, she saw me playing Half-Life 2, and when I finished it, she started playing it through herself. While I was on the phone last night, there was lots of swearing being to be heard coming from the office where the PC is!

There's no fathoming when and what she'll play, but it's cool! :(

Edit: I never considered her much of a gamer, but reading this thread shows me she probably is, no matter what she claims!

I tried to get Aunty Nasty into Halo. She spent an agonising few minutes shooting the grass and looking blankly at the screen. I honestly think her respect for me went down after that, she really couldn't see why I'd spent so long playing it and talking about it so much.

I hope you assassinated her?

my missus absoloutely LOVED playing Goldenye with proximity mines. She took great pleasure in hiding them in really nasty places and watching me run into them.

Strangely though, no FPS in the generation, even games like TS that has such features, has interested her.

Here's a little story:

She loves metroid, but when I played Prime she got motion sickness. I gave her the pad whilst I went to get water, but she started playing it then I got motion sckness. We got to the part where you escape the lab and after that we both got motion sickenss but couldn't stop playing and when we finally died had to lie down for 1/2 hour to stop from throwing up.

So no.

My gf usually watches with interest whenever Halo/2 is on in the living room, she hasn't played them yet though. But for some reason she rolls her eyes at the slightest mention of Half Life 2 and CS:S.

For now shes playing through Zelda: The Minish Cap on my DS, which I've had to lend to her coz she wanted to keep playing.

I'm quite skilled (or 'well trained', more like) at FPS games, to the point where I know exactly where to go, who to kill first and the order to proceed, and where to get the keycard that opens a door.

What I find in other genres is a strange notion that I have to spend AGES getting used to a new system that confuses me, and having to go to strange places to do things for reasons I don't entirely understand, and usually end up getting stuck because I don't know where to go next.

In short, it's pretty much the same thing in reverse. Games just aren't universal anymore. Unless they involve ball-dwelling monkeys.