Metalcore

dam_aks

As nearly every other metal sub genre gets a work out here metalcore doesn't seem that liked or well known. Anyways, may as well share some sounds.

Lately I have been listening to a lot old Underoath, The Changing of times and Cries of the past are both pretty decent, if Mainstream sounding records. Have a good change between melody and brutal sections.

www.purevolume.com/underoath

Also I have started to notice what appears to be an emerging sound from Malaysia.... Cassandra are pretty darn good. Dream Cast hate Form is rawking. www.myspace.com/cassandra

I am into the solid state sound really. Haste the day, Underoath (old style), Norma Jean etc. But the Christian wave of metalcore is all pretty similar.

So, there is two bands. One very popular the other not so.

• 3 months later...
I've come a bit late to the metalcore party via the killswitch/trvium that all the kidz seem to be listening to.

Anyone got any starting suggestions?

OK...

Well, to start with I would say check out Solid State Records bands and Face Down Records bands.

www.solidstaterecords.com

www.facedownrecords.com

I would say try Norma Jean, He is Legend (if you can call them Metalcore...probably not - but good) Underoath. Make sure you get Nodes Of Ranvier - Self Titled (NOT THE YEARS TO COME AS IT IS GOD AWFUL) as that is probably in my opinion the best example of the genre.

Stuff that is really easy to find in shops? Stuff like the Agony Scene and As I lay Dying are good. Everytime I die as well.

Really like Zao, but I'm sure you've heard of them. Only have 2 albums of their albums mind. http://www.purevolume.com/zao

Remembering Never are great too http://www.purevolume.com/rememberingnever

I think they are metalcore anyway, it's not an easy genre to define since metal and hardcore songs will often have ifluences from the other genre

breakdowns of a hardcore nature, ok.

what?

Hardcore lately is all about heavy breakdowns, pretty much. When you look what is really popular it is stuff like Hatebreed, Comeback Kid, SOIA pretty wide range of sound but all sharing breakdown familararity.

Recently the trend for metal bands has been to really push the bar forward on the technical side of things. So loads of kick ass solos and time changes and all that lovely stuff. But you know metal has been doing this for ages, but it has never really been this mainstream. At least I would say so anyway...

Metalcore is a mix of these two things. If you listen to it, you will see why it is a widely used expression. Metalcore isn't metal and it isn't hardcore. Though it can be very difficult to put a band into the said genre so it is easier not to bother and just listen to anything and everything.

Though it can be very difficult to put a band into the said genre so it is easier not to bother and just listen to anything and everything.

Exactly, I was only really looking for general reccomendations really without troubling the main metal thread.

What's a heavy breakdown?  I like hardcore, but I don't know what this means.  Can you give an example of a song that uses such a technique?  Apologies if I'm being thick.

Ok, like when the music slows right down. Gets heavy. A similar lyric is repeated over the top. Download "All in a year" by Comeback Kid. One minute in, there is some sweet breakdownage from this point in the song.

Check out stuff like Knucledust as well. Loads of big breakdowns there. But to be honest, so much hardcore and metal has breakdowns these days.... Some bands seem to play nothing but.

Hmmm, but the breakdowns in a lot of Metalcore music wouldn't follow the repeating of a riff. Its just random. Bands like Norma Jean just seem totally erratic to me. I also find explaining this stuff really difficult because I know what is going on to hear it, or playing you examples but putting it into words I just can't do!

Ok, like when the music slows right down. Gets heavy. A similar lyric is repeated over the top. Download "All in a year" by Comeback Kid. One minute in, there is some sweet breakdownage from this point in the song.

Check out stuff like Knucledust as well. Loads of big breakdowns there. But to be honest, so much hardcore and metal has breakdowns these days.... Some bands seem to play nothing but.

Ok, I know what you mean know, thanks.

It's the bit where all the children with neckerchiefs wrapped around their faces start kicking each other. Yawn. This type of music was good for a while, but a lot of bands seem to be sounding like each other though (Hatebreed, Throwdown, etc).

Unearth's last album is astonishingly good, though, but it's basically thrash anyway.

It's the bit where all the children with neckerchiefs wrapped around their faces start kicking each other. Yawn. This type of music was good for a while, but a lot of bands seem to be sounding like each other though (Hatebreed, Throwdown, etc).

Unearth's last album is astonishingly good, though, but it's basically thrash anyway.

Wouldn't those bands be just straight up Hardcore though? There are a lot of meathead bands out there. I'm not a big fan of stuff like Throwdown or Hatebreed but it is usually pretty fun live. I was more thinking of the bands like Converge, Nodes of Ranvier, Noram Jean etc which sound very different to those you mention.

Unearth are pretty generic in my opinion.

I think the term Metalcore is fairly open to misinterpretation - I remember Terrorizer magazine at the end of the 90s wrestling with how to refer to all these new bands coming out that were combinign Hardcore with discordant, awkward, progressive (delete as appropriate) themes so much as to effectively remove them from Hardcore altogether. Bands like Botch, Today Is The Day, Converge, Drowningman, etc. I think they ended up using the term Noisecore (simply cos they don't have the column inches to trot out discordant, awkward, progressive Hardcore each time).

To me, Metalcore is basically Hardcore beefed up with Metallic production values (and double bass drums), as they sound very different to, say, Better Than A Thousand (which IMO is as good an example as any of the 'traditional' hardcore sound).

Oh, and I agree Unearth aren't doing anything new, but they do it REALLY well. I just find the tuff-guy chest-beating of the likes of Hatebreed very tiresome.