IGNORED

Gamecube Last Breath

BubbleFish

I've been thinking. As far as retail is concerned the GC is dead, dead, dead. Just try looking for the latest titles. Even those that do stock it get just a few copies of the new games in and dont seem to restock.

The Revolution is still a while away and unless Nintendo does something clever they're in danger of being forgotten (by the mass market anyway) before they can get their next home machine out.

Do you think it would help if Nintendo did the unthinkable and recognised the import market by allowing new games to disregard the region coding? Is this even possible? I think it must be if Freeloader can do it via software, whats to stop the same (or even better) code being included on all new releases?

Do you think it would help, opening up the market to cheaper imports and niche titles, making it very, very easy to play games from any region?

Nothing can save the GameCube now. It's a great little machine, but Nintendo should just let it go. I'm still amazed they're launching Zelda next year on it. Why not have a real strong Revolution launch line up? It'll obviously sell well on GameCube, but it won't really have an impact on the market as a whole after the first week.

Nothing can save the GameCube now. It's a great little machine, but Nintendo should just let it go. I'm still amazed they're launching Zelda next year on it. Why not have a real strong Revolution launch line up? It'll obviously sell well on GameCube, but it won't really have an impact on the market as a whole after the first week.

"Let it go"? :(

Nintendo make an absolute fortune on software though. The user base of the GC will be many, many times more than the revolution when Zelda gets released. Also, you can be sure that practically everyone who owns a GC will buy Zelda. Net result= pots and pots of cash in the bank for Nintendo.

I've only had my GC 2 months, it can't be it's last breath yet!

I did just stick my brand new Xbox1 ontop of it, may be that is what killed it.

No, that just means you can't change games or turn it on - try moving it and see if it still works. They're surprisingly resilient little buggers, I'd warrant they'd survive an XBox on top of them better than a small child.

Nintendo make an absolute fortune on software though. The user base of the GC will be many, many times more than the revolution when Zelda gets released. Also, you can be sure that practically everyone who owns a GC will buy Zelda. Net result= pots and pots of cash in the bank for Nintendo.

True Nintendo would make money on it, and lots would be sold. But launching the new machine with a hot new Zelda game would also be a pretty good business decision I would have thought.

Isn't the Revolution going to have a Mario, Smash brothers, and Metroid prime on release?

They can afford to use Zelda as a last grasp for money on the Gamecube.

I'm a fan of Nintendo personally but I hope that isn't the launch line up.

Seen it all before.

Zelda can't come soon enough though. [/hypocrite]

I won't.

I enjoyed OoT and WW, but by the end of WW, I felt like I'd seen a lot of what it was doing before.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed both titles, but don't think i've got the energy for another quest.

Put simply I could not be less enthused about another zelda game.

And i'm sure that it's not just me

You've seen the new Mario game, the likes of which is going to be completely different from all the other Mario games and make use of the new as-of-yet unseen revolutionary controller, before?

I admire your faith and optimism. I hope the new Mario game is a stunner, but I lost faith after having adored 64, and then played Sunshine, which just felt like another generic 3D platformer.

Putting the GC specifics to one side for the moment, and concentrating on region-protection as a whole. I'd just like to ask "Why".

Why are games region protected.

Ok, so we have the normal speil about different publishers having the rights to publish in different territories and people importing messing them up... but

If that was the case, then why aren't portable consoles region protected - is it because the amount of imported games is quite minimal ?

I really think they're shooting themselves in the foor with region protection. Consoles get chipped on the premise (mostly) that people want to be able to play games from all regions, even pure pirates. I think most people would be sympathetic to people just wanting to play legally purchased from another region. Surely if consoles were mult-region anyway, they'd be a stronger case to come down hard on mod chip manufactorers.

The official excuse is to facilitate enforcement of different distributors amongst different regions.

The real reason is so they can tightly control marketing campaigns for each region, to stop people hearing about a great game and just buying if from overseas. This does already happen, but on a much smaller scale than we'd see otherwise.

If that was the case, then why aren't portable consoles region protected - is it because the amount of imported games is quite minimal ?

Because one of the main uses of portable consoles is to play and buy games while travelling. It would be shit if you took your PSP or GBA to the States and couldn't play a single game they're selling in the shops there on your portable entertainment device.

Putting the GC specifics to one side for the moment, and concentrating on region-protection as a whole.  I'd just like to ask "Why".

Why are games region protected.

I wondered the same thing

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=99165

Its all down to publishers and money, which is very tedious. Publisher-free downloadable games can't come quick enough.

The GC has a nice system though, no piracy but a simple swap disc to play imports. If only it could always be as easy as that.

The GC has a nice system though, no piracy but a simple swap disc to play imports. If only it could always be as easy as that.

Even that system is shit. I just want to pop on the machine and play, no discswapping please. I like the fact I can just put any old disc in my chipped Xbox and it'll run regardless of it's region or medium.

But the whole region-stuff is about protecting the local subsidiaries/publishers. And it stinks.

As I said, it's as much to do with license negotiation. ie if you're EA you may have bought the rights to distrubute games based on Madden in the US only, and the rights to create Japanese games based on the same IP may be sold to Namco or someone. License negotiation can be complicated enough, but if you take out regionalisation it becomes a nightmare. This phenomenon is far from unique to games. It's part of the fun Apple have had setting up iTunes stores in different territories for example.