IGNORED

Gamecube Last Breath

BubbleFish

Because one of the main uses of portable consoles is to play and buy games while travelling. It would be shit if you took your PSP or GBA to the States and couldn't play a single game they're selling in the shops there on your portable entertainment device.

Very true, but at the same time it doesn't stop us all ordering Nintendogs (or whatever) from VG+ so we can play it now. I'm still guessing that the number of people that import games is minimal compared with the number of overall units sold... I mean, really it's just us lot on games forums isn't it. What's the big deal.

Why is no one cracking down on multiregion DVD players that are multiregion "out of the box" and even play DVD-R's and DivX/Xvid. They are so common that it's a wonder DVD producers don't just put everything out as region 0

I admire your faith and optimism. I hope the new Mario game is a stunner, but I lost faith after having adored 64, and then played Sunshine, which just felt like another generic 3D platformer.

in danger of starting another thread here... but.... Sunshine is the 2nd best platform game ever made.

In no way can it be described as "generic" - did you play the void levels at all? Control and feel of mario as he bounced around the island was as good as, if not *even better* than the control we had of him in SM64, due to a more flexible camera... and I liked Fludd.

No. NO.

Sunshine is a good game, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. But it has been overtaken by quite a few other games.

Just out of interest I would like to know these games, I'm not being a tvat I would really like to know.

I loved Sunshine so if there is better about i want to play it.

Just out of interest I would like to know these games, I'm not being a tvat I would really like to know.

I loved Sunshine so if there is better about i want to play it.

I think the Ratchet & Clank series and Rayman 2 and 3 are better. I know I'm pretty much alone on Rayman, but Ratchet & Clank doesn't get the credit I think it deserves. But now I'm afraid both myself and this thread will go down in flames.

I think the Ratchet & Clank series and Rayman 2 and 3 are better. I know I'm pretty much alone on Rayman, but Ratchet & Clank doesn't get the credit I think it deserves. But now I'm afraid both myself and this thread will go down in flames.

I must say I loved the Rayman series, not played Ratchet & Clank might grab them now they are cheap as potatos.

Don't let the thread get ruined people :wacko:

Very true, but at the same time it doesn't stop us all ordering Nintendogs (or whatever) from VG+ so we can play it now.  I'm still guessing that the number of people that import games is minimal compared with the number of overall units sold... I mean, really it's just us lot on games forums isn't it.  What's the big deal.

Why is no one cracking down on multiregion DVD players that are multiregion "out of the box" and even play DVD-R's and DivX/Xvid.  They are so common that it's a wonder DVD producers don't just put everything out as region 0

I think would be very difficult for a manufacturer to justify disabling that ability nowadays, as it's becoming more and more accessible for Joe Public to create, edit and burn their own DVDs, which obviously they would hold the copyright for.

I admire your faith and optimism. I hope the new Mario game is a stunner, but I lost faith after having adored 64, and then played Sunshine, which just felt like another generic 3D platformer.

I find that rather sad and strange.

"Game X was the greatest thing I have ever played ever. Game X2 wasn't really as good, so I shall never play anything even remotely related to Game X ever."

For all you know, Game X3 could be even better than the original. It seems silly to lose faith in a company or game brand because one of thier games didn't live up to the previous one. It's not like Nintendo or Mario has gone the way of Sega and Sonic. Nintendo's games are still brilliant, even if many argue that they're not quite as brilliant as they once were.

I do need to try R&C games... they're highly rated, but I've always seen them as 3rd person action games rather than platformers... almost like Jak and Daxter, but with weapons. JnD were never really platformers to me, 3rd person collect-em-ups with jumpy bits.

Nothing can save the GameCube now. It's a great little machine, but Nintendo should just let it go. I'm still amazed they're launching Zelda next year on it. Why not have a real strong Revolution launch line up? It'll obviously sell well on GameCube, but it won't really have an impact on the market as a whole after the first week.

Yes good business sense. Lets develop a game for two years, then not sell it in Europe. :unsure: Zelda will still be one of the biggest selling games across all formats when it is released. Just because shop space on the High Street has been reduced, it doesn't mean people aren't buying the games.

Granted the GC is in third place in the UK, but what about the rest of Europe?

I find that rather sad and strange.

"Game X was the greatest thing I have ever played ever. Game X2 wasn't really as good, so I shall never play anything even remotely related to Game X ever."

For all you know, Game X3 could be even better than the original. It seems silly to lose faith in a company or game brand because one of thier games didn't live up to the previous one. It's not like Nintendo or Mario has gone the way of Sega and Sonic. Nintendo's games are still brilliant, even if many argue that they're not quite as brilliant as they once were.

You've read waaaay too much into my post. I never said I wasn't going to play anymore Mario games, nor that other Nintendo games weren't as good as the old ones. I will play the new Mario game, and Nintendo games are still good (although maybe not as strong as their SNES/N64 heyday). All I was saying is the Sunshine wasn't a patch on 64 for me.

Yes good business sense. Lets develop a game for two years, then not sell it in Europe.  :unsure: Zelda will still be one of the biggest selling games across all formats when it is released. Just because shop space on the High Street has been reduced, it doesn't mean people aren't buying the games.

Granted the GC is in third place in the UK, but what about the rest of Europe?

What? Where did I say not to release it in Europe?

Hold it back, sell it on the new machine, sell lots of copies, and help sell lots of consoles and get everyone fired up for it.

Sell it on the GC next year, and yeah you'll sell a fair whack, but no consoles.

Look at sales figures, people aren't buying GC games. It a sad fact, I think the machine is fantastic, but it's over. Resi 4 did not have the impact people thought it might. Zelda will have an impact, but I still think it's better sense for Nintendo to hold off, and have it as a stunning, must have launch title for the Rev.

but Mario will be the stunning must have launch title for Rev. Call me naieve (sp) - but they've been working on the next Mario for aaaagggesss (at least that's the impression I get) and Shigsy baby has been very closely involved. I do feel as though the next mario will blow my moustache off...

You've read waaaay too much into my post. I never said I wasn't going to play anymore Mario games, nor that other Nintendo games weren't as good as the old ones. I will play the new Mario game, and Nintendo games are still good (although maybe not as strong as their SNES/N64 heyday). All I was saying is the Sunshine wasn't a patch on 64 for me.

I know, I was just exagerating to make my point a bit clearer, I think. It was just the way you said you weren't looking forward to the next Mario that seemed wierd to me. It would take a few dissapointing games before I started to become non-fussed about the next title in a series.

I know, I was just exagerating to make my point a bit clearer, I think. It was just the way you said you weren't looking forward to the next Mario that seemed wierd to me. It would take a few dissapointing games before I started to become non-fussed about the next title in a series.

Now this is getting silly. I said:

I hope the new Mario game is a stunner

That kind of implies I'm looking forward to it I think. Which I am. I just found your enthusiam toward the new game and machine a little strange seeing as we know next to nothing about either. But hey, if the new Mario is great, then we're both happy. Everyone's a winner etc.

Hold it back, sell it on the new machine, sell lots of copies, and help sell lots of consoles and get everyone fired up for it.

Sell it on the GC next year, and yeah you'll sell a fair whack, but no consoles.

Look at sales figures, people aren't buying GC games. It a sad fact, I think the machine is fantastic, but it's over. Resi 4 did not have the impact people thought it might. Zelda will have an impact, but I still think it's better sense for Nintendo to hold off, and have it as a stunning, must have launch title for the Rev.

There is no need for the next generation this early. I will not be rushing out to buy X360, PS3 or the new Nintendo machine. I am happy with the current gen, hence want to see more games come out on them. There really is no need for the next gen yet.

As for people rushing out and getting the Revolution for the new Zelda. I don't think so.

Now this is getting silly. I said:

That kind of implies I'm looking forward to it I think. Which I am. I just found your enthusiam toward the new game and machine a little strange seeing as we know next to nothing about either. But hey, if the new Mario is great, then we're both happy. Everyone's a winner etc.

Whatever. I didn't intend to get into an argument with you over this. You said you'd lost faith, which I took to mean you'd lost faith in the brand/franchise/series/developers, which would suggest you had low expectations for the new Mario, and thus weren't looking forward to it all that much. My post could have applied to anything though, it wasn't specifically aimed at Mario or you.

If I've read into that the wrong way, then I'm sorry. I didn't mean to have a go at you or anything.

As for the the Revolution... it's the only next gen console I'm really curious and excited about. I've never been bothered about Mario itself though, so whatever happens to it, I don't particularly care.

There is no need for the next generation this early. I will not be rushing out to buy X360, PS3 or the new Nintendo machine. I am happy with the current gen, hence want to see more games come out on them. There really is no need for the next gen yet.

As for people rushing out and getting the Revolution for the new Zelda. I don't think so.

I agree, and think it's daft that the current gen appears to be ending and the new gen starting already. But I guess we have little say in these things.

Out of curiosity, what do you think would be a better launch title for the Revolution than a Zelda game? If people aren't going to rush out and buy Nintendo's biggest franchise (next to Mario probably) for that, what will they buy it for?

Resident Evil 4 did rather well I thought?

Zelda:TP = Zelda:MM. Nintendo know that there are still millions of GCs out there and a sizeable chunk of that user base will buy a new Zelda game (especially Americans, Majora sold insane quantities over there).

I don't think they can just decide to switch formats on a project like this either, without starting from scratch. Eternal Darkness and Animal Crossing show the kind of thing I mean. You can't get away with that for one of your flagship franchises.

Resident Evil 4 did rather well I thought?

Zelda:TP = Zelda:MM. Nintendo know that there are still millions of GCs out there and a sizeable chunk of that user base will buy a new Zelda game (especially Americans, Majora sold insane quantities over there).

I don't think they can just decide to switch formats on a project like this either, without starting from scratch. Eternal Darkness and Animal Crossing show the kind of thing I mean. You can't get away with that for one of your flagship franchises.

Hell no, if they port it to Revolution it would take a long while before release, and then it wouldn't be as good(looking) as it could be on the system after all.

I think it makes sense for Nintendo to release the game on the Cube, sell a lot of copies and maybe even one or two systems and then launch the revolution a few months later. A fitting swansong for the Cube I think.

I know I will buy it.