Just Imported Castlevania Dawn Of Sorrow...

Dr Derek Doctors

I bought myself a DS and Castlevania for Xmas with my parents on the countryside. Not having played a Castlevania game before didn’t know exactly what to expect but I can't put it down, I really love it. At this rate I have to get myself another game for Xmas :D

Is there anything in particular I should think of? How hard are the later bosses? Do I need to print out some boss tactics from Gamefaqs to get thru the game?

• 1 month later...

I just discovered how the soul levelling thing works (I noticed the levels before but didn't understand them) and it's making me really use souls I wouldn't bother with before. For example, when I first got the Slime, I thought it was pretty useless. I've since reached Lv. 4 Slime, which is both hilarious in practice, and deadly.

I just discovered how the soul levelling thing works (I noticed the levels before but didn't understand them) and it's making me really use souls I wouldn't bother with before. For example, when I first got the Slime, I thought it was pretty useless. I've since reached Lv. 4 Slime, which is both hilarious in practice, and deadly.

I finished the whole damn game, and only after a week or two I discovered the soul levelling, is it me or just the shitty manual, otherwise a perfect game.

Care to explain? I'm on 59% and hadn't realised you could do this <_<

Soul levelling?

I've just started playing this properly due to PW, MK and Ouendan taking my time up.

Its beautiful. I really, really like it. Having all the different weapons to choose from (and upgrade) adds a lot of depth to the game.

The DS is perfect. Just perfect.

Care to explain? I'm on 59% and hadn't realised you could do this <_<

You can collect up to 9 of each soul. In some cases, this has no effect (it just has one level). In others, the more souls you collect, the higher the level. For example, if you collect 4 Slime souls, your Slime soul is at level 4. Some souls only have 3 or so levels (so you need several souls to level up to level 2).

The effects of levelling up vary: some souls just get a longer range or more power, or in the case of "summon <enemy>" souls, you can summon more at once (i.e. you can throw four Slimes consecutively with a level 4 slime soul, instead of just 1).

I didn't understand the soul-leveling at first, either, but it's really quite useful farming one specific, easy-to-get soul. I'm currently at level 63 and using level 9 bones and level 9 corpseweed mostly (and the Black Panther speed-traveling soul, which is just awesome). Better and less mana-consuming than many of the rare souls are at level 1.

• 2 months later...

Has Dawn of Sorrow gone rare yet, like the other Castlevania games?

I managed to find a new copy today and I got my friend, who works in the store, to call Nintendo and they told him that they had trouble getting the game in stock and getting it out into the shops.

Why is it that Castlevania games always goes OOP so soon?

It's probably a good idea that I keep my own copy forever :lol:

It's because Castlevania nowadays has only niche appeal, mainly in America, I believe the series is virtually dead in Japan for example.

IGA regularly makes plea's for people to buy the latest one so that he can secure a better budget for the next one and finally make a game that moves the series onward.

Something really needs to be done with Castlevania now. We've seen far too many in this style, with ever diminishing returns, the fact that another DS one has been announced so soon is really rather sad. The series is turning into something akin to a Capcom fighter.

The three GBA Castlevanias were all remarkably different from oneanother (in magic systems, structure and action), so I don't see the concern there.

One persons remarkably is another persons 'not very'. The games seem virtually identical to me. Not that I ever get my head around the magic\soul stuff. I just like to play the games. I can't bear the dialogue either - never read it.

• 2 months later...

i havent been to work for 4 weeks. im bored. it'll pass.

im right about metroidvania though. what pisses me off the most about it is that Konami has milked the formu;a so much, its ruined metroid for me as well. the real metroid that is, not the bullshit 2D bollocks.

i like my castlevanias like castlevania and my metroids like metroid.

i havent been to work for 4 weeks. im bored. it'll pass.

im right about metroidvania though. what pisses me off the most about it is that Konami has milked the formu;a so much, its ruined metroid for me as well. the real metroid that is, not the bullshit 2D bollocks.

i like my castlevanias like castlevania and my metroids like metroid.

.::: You should play Ufouria.

I've probably asked this before - but how hard is this game compared to the GBA ones as I found these very very hard and never made it to the first save point on the first one.

Still, this does look very good and I'm tempted to pick it up.

I've probably asked this before - but how hard is this game compared to the GBA ones as I found these very very hard and never made it to the first save point on the first one.

Still, this does look very good and I'm tempted to pick it up.

.::: The first one is known as the hardest in the (2D exploration branch of) series, so you can safely get this one. :blink:

There are Castlevania's that don't follow the Metroid exploration method?

How do they work then?

I'm on the last boss now...

.::: Linear levels + whip. They're surprisingly good fun although the older ones will probably kill you if you merely look at them. They're not exactly for the lesser skilled.